Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

My video learning

Development “is the stage where an idea fleshed out into a viable script”
This is the part where I suffer the most. This is my first experience trying to follow the process of movie making. Before I played with iMovie, Windows Movie Maker, Pinnacle studio, but this is the first time when I find myself through the process of thinking consciously in what exactly I am going to shoot, and what is the importance of the script, the storyboard and the most important thing: the message. This has been painful but worthy. I was inspired by the article of Howard Lindenmeyer “Writing voice-over narration” This is an article written in a very poetical style. Interesting that the focus of the article conveys so clearly in the example his writer chose, and that happens because he has a captivating style to put words together and make people feel for what he writes.

I have been through the process, so I can laugh at my own mistakes. I just needed to go through that list of 10 tips of video shooting to realize all the mistakes I have done for years. Now, the good thing is that our perspective changes. I started noticing in the movies and TV shows how they move from shoot to shoot so quickly to keep the audience attracted to the show. I was also amazed by the effect that manual focus and depth of focus field creates in a shoot. Viewer tries to figure out the clear image behind the blurry object in first plane, and that is an artistic way to play with the shapes, and colors using depth and focus. I was confused at the beginning about this parallel between golf and video shooting because I have never played golf before. Then I started understanding the terminology of golf and how it relates to video shooting. Teeing up is getting ready to shot. The “bag” contains the five “clubs” or categories that you mention: XWS, WS, MS, CU and XCU. The key is how to use those shots to communicate a message.
“The script is a written and drafted into a workable blueprint for the film.” This sentence keeps the idea of the movie clear, avoiding digressions from the initial proposal and will save time and money in the production.

No comments:

Post a Comment